gufw-developers team mailing list archive

Re: ufw frontend improvements

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Marcos Alvarez Costales wrote:

> Hi.
> I think we only need from ufw frontend:
> - Method for set/get an SPLIT fields from rules (separated IP to, Port
> to, protocol to, rule, IP from, Port from, protocol from).

Ah! Yes, I forgot you will probably want to also import ufw.common and
possibly ufw.util. ufw.common has UFWRule in it with appropriate methods
for manipulating rules.

> - No warning messages using the ufw frontend.

I was careful to reorganize the code so that (with the exception of
--dry-run) no output to stderr or stdout occurs in any of the modules.
The various modules will instead throw an exception for you to handle.

> It's more interesting the Dbus, because all can start without root
> password and use the Policykit.

Yes, this would be ideal if doable, but like I said, probably not for
Jaunty.

Also, I quickly wrote doc/skel-ui as a skeleton for writing frontends
for ufw. It runs as is (assuming ufw is installed) and should setup
everything you need. It's in bzr.

Jamie

--
Ubuntu Security Engineer     | http://www.ubuntu.com/