holland-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: holland + mysql dependency

holland-mysqllvm doesn't call any external mysql commands.

holland-mysqldump does call the mysqldump binary.   Although to have a useful backup you need a mysqldump command I don't know that it's useful to explicitly require /usr/bin/mysqldump or mysql.  It is not uncommon practice to use binary distributions - this is recommended by a non-trivial subset of MySQL consultants (just see planet.mysql).  holland fails gracefully if mysqlddump cannot be found and explicitly provides configuration mechanisms to locate this outside of /usr/bin/mysqldump to support a variety of deployment strategies. If that's all unconvincing (which I suspect it may be), I also offer MySQL-zrm as a similar fedora package that lacks explicit (or implicit) mysql requires.

~Andy