holland-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Online Documentation Updates?

Yeah, the copyright needs updated - this should probably be baked in the
version bump script.  There was a bug in the version_bump script in bumping
the documentation version number that I just fixed recently and I haven't
pushed the documentation since.   Feel free to send any more additional
pull requests for this kind of stuff - I am really happy to merge it.

Honestly, I think the documentation needs a serious revamp.  The flow needs
some work and there aren't really any examples.   Probably some discussion
on "selecting a backup strategy" would be useful too, along with commentary
on the individual backup strategy plugins.  I often find myself wanting to
link to specific options under a particular plugin's documentation, but
we'll need to update the layout to add that feature.

I think we should drop the phrase "provider" as it is not very descriptive
as well.  I've also been moving away from the term "backup framework" to
"backup manager", as holland is really more of a end-user tool.  I think
its clear that v1.0 is very bad from a developer standpoint for extending
:(   Although v1.1+ has cleaned that up significantly, it currently lacks
useful documentation here and v1.1 has obviously stalled out.

~Andy