holland-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Multiple xtrabackup processes

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Gillian Gunson <ggunson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up two xtrabackup processes, one for each of two MySQL
> instances running via mysqld_multi. I can get it working for one instance
> (xtrabackup.conf files in backupsets and providers directories, and the
> connection info in the conf file in providers of "additional-options =
> --defaults-group=mysqld1" and user/pw/socket in [mysql:client]).
>
> However, I can't seem to get two xtrabackups set up. I couldn't seem to move
> connection info to the backupsets conf, so I created xtrabackup3306.conf and
> ...3307.conf in both directories, the providers confs pointing to the right
> servers, the backupsets confs having:
>
> plugin = xtrabackup3307
>
> The online docs say you put the provider name for plugin, so I did that.
> When I try to run them, though, I get this error message:
>
> Backup failed: 'holland.backup.xtrabackup3306' not found
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hi Gillian,

The plugin name should simply be 'xtrabackup' for both backupset
configs.  This option just control what plugin actually executes the
backup.   Then there is a /etc/holland/backupsets/xtrabackup3306.conf
and /etc/holland/backupsets/xtrabackup 3307.conf, each with a section
along the lines of:

# /etc/holland/backupsets/xtrabackup3306.conf:
[holland:backup]
plugin = xtrabackup
[xtrabackup]
additional-options = --defaults-group=mysqld1

[mysql:client]
# auth options specific to 3306 instance
socket = /var/lib/mysql3306/mysql.sock

#  /etc/holland/backupsets/xtrabackup3307.conf:

[holland:backup]
plugin = xtrabackup
[xtrabackup]
additional-options = --defaults-group=mysqld2

[mysql:client]
# auth options specific to 3307 instance
socket = /var/lib/mysql3307/mysql.sock

Then to run these backups you can either update
/etc/holland/holland.conf's [holland] -> backupsets option and list
the backupset names you want to run by default.  For example:

# /etc/holland/holland.conf:
[holland]
backupsets = xtrabackup3306, xtrabackup3307

Or, if you are running these via cron you could simply run the command
"holland backup <backupset-name>" directly:

# holland backup xtrabackup3306
# holland backup xtrabackup3307

~Andrew