holland-discuss team mailing list archive

rsync plugin

It's still pretty bare but I've setup a basic rsync plugin which supports hardlinking. I had to do some interesting things in regards to looking at previous backup-sets and could use some feedback if anyone wants to take a look:

https://github.com/m00dawg/holland/tree/master/plugins/holland.backup.rsync

Hardlinking seems to work - it basically sets --link-dest to the previous backup set if it exsts and if hardlinking is enabled.

Hideously lacking is the ability to setup exclusions, and I'm not sure if I should just offer flags/extended_flags options or be nice and make certain features explicit (such as --one-file-system). Also not sure if I should support --exclude-file= or just use the --exclude flag and iterate over a list (similar to how mysqldump works as I recall). I should also probably support remote sources (I don't have a need for that in my case but I'm sure lots of folks would).

Tim

Follow ups