holland-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: rsync plugin

I've made more progress with it. It now supports remote sync (SSH, rsync) as well as some one-file-system and bandwidth-limit options. Those are basically -- style flags I've exposed as a specific config option. As I recall the idea was to sort of move away from that in future plugins and, instead letting users specifying their own flags in a more free-flow method? I think I'd want to have that for some obscure flags but some of the more useful ones I think I like having as a specific option. I find it makes things easier to read? But I dunno.

Currently lacking is the ability to specify a custom port. Having trouble with Python wanting to do things like this:

###
Executing: rsync -avx --link-dest=/var/spool/holland/ssh/20150915_175342 --exclude=Private --exclude=.cache --exclude=Steam --exclude=.thunderbird --exclude=.mozilla "--rsh='ssh \-p" --bwlimit=1k --one-file-system filedawg.moocow.home://home/tim/tmp /var/spool/holland/ssh/20150915_175354
###

I tried quite a few ways to avoid quotes being added. It seems to not like when I add the - in -p and I'm not sure how to disable that.

Otherwise, while I haven't been doing an exhaustive test of all combinations but things seem to be working ok, save for testing the SSH method. It should work, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The rsync method (whether authenticated or anonymous) does seem to work however. I'd like to have a way to test things in a more automated away but it could get somewhat complicated.

I've also added the provider and default backup configs with some docs, save for the extended options since I'm not sure if I'll keep those yet.

Tim