hp6710b team mailing list archive

upgrading to Lucid

I'd like to ask but also offer my experience (maybe to those on Ubuntu) about upgrading to Lucid.

I think Lucid is one of the worst upgrades I did. Many of the apps I used stopped working:

* kaddressbook drowned in akonadi-nepomuk-virtuoso-über-komplexity - my
  mind boggles and my CPU fan fumes when those two dozen processes start
  off only to display a - uhm - addressbook?

* twinkle had sound off [1]

* kwallet doesn't start any more [2]

* korganizer deleted my calendar [3]

* first kernel-upgrade broke leaving the laptop unbootable

* after the upgrade sound was muted

* for a while wireless stopped working however recovered at some point

* partitions that should *not* be automounted cause the boot process to
  stop telling me that they could not be automounted

* suspend (to disk or to ram) sometimes doesn't suspend (leaving the latop
  running (when closing the lid)) and somethimes just crashes (flushing
  all my work down /dev/null), and sometimes wakes up with the screen off
  (leaving me with not much other choice than switching the system off)
  Though I can't find anything interesting in /var/log/kern.log.
  Downgrading the kernel helps [4]

* Since trying out the Ubuntu's upstream kernel, when I boot with the old
  kernel I first need to switch virtual terminals before I can see the
  Login Screen.

*t

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/twinkle/+bug/451843
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdeutils/+bug/576284