hudson-ubuntu-users team mailing list archive

Initial attempt at using jenkins ppa

Hi James,

I've finally gotten around to testing out your jenkins packaging. On the
whole it's working well; however, I hit a couple of issues:

  1) the first thing I tried to do was to add monitoring of a couple of
     cron jobs I run, following the documentation at
     https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Monitoring+external+jobs
     However, when I did this and ran my jobs, I found that when
     attempting to submit results, it would fail with:

       Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jruby/ext/posix/POSIX
             at hudson.Main.remotePost(Main.java:177)
	     at hudson.Main.run(Main.java:75)
	     at hudson.Main.main(Main.java:57)

     It seems there's a missing dependency on jnr-posix
     <http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jruby.ext.posix/jnr-posix>
     that isn't being included somewhere. If I download the jar and
     include it in the run like so:

       java -classpath ${HOME}/share/jenkins/jenkins-core-1.396.jar:${HOME}/share/jenkins/jnr-posix-1.1.6.jar hudson.Main "job" script.sh

     then it works

     Also, would it be possible to have some of the crucial WEB-INF jar
     files unpacked from the war file in the packaging? It seems
     suboptimal to have to dig out and unpack jars from the war to get
     this to work.

  2) The bazaar plugin didn't initially register itself correctly with
     jenkins. I finally got it to register correctly, but it was only
     after installing:

       jenkins-ec2-plugin
       libjenkins-java (and *all* of its dependencies)
       reinstalling jenkins-bazaar-plugin

     and restarting jenkins did it get registered. Alas, I realize
     that doesn't help you narrow down exactly where the problem
     is. If I get a chance I'll try to reproduce the problem.

Anyway, thanks for putting this together!

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie@xxxxxxxxxx>