hudson-ubuntu-users team mailing list archive

Re: Initial attempt at using jenkins ppa

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 11:58 -0700, Steve Beattie wrote:
>   1) the first thing I tried to do was to add monitoring of a couple
> of
>      cron jobs I run, following the documentation at
>      https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Monitoring+external
> +jobs
>      However, when I did this and ran my jobs, I found that when
>      attempting to submit results, it would fail with:
>
>        Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/jruby/ext/posix/POSIX
>              at hudson.Main.remotePost(Main.java:177)
>              at hudson.Main.run(Main.java:75)
>              at hudson.Main.main(Main.java:57)
>
>      It seems there's a missing dependency on jnr-posix
>      <http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jruby.ext.posix/jnr-posix>
>      that isn't being included somewhere. If I download the jar and
>      include it in the run like so:
>
>        java -classpath ${HOME}/share/jenkins/jenkins-core-1.396.jar:
> ${HOME}/share/jenkins/jnr-posix-1.1.6.jar hudson.Main "job" script.sh
>
>      then it works

I'll look into this; might be broken upstream and well looking at a
vanilla jenkins build as well.

>      Also, would it be possible to have some of the crucial WEB-INF
> jar
>      files unpacked from the war file in the packaging? It seems
>      suboptimal to have to dig out and unpack jars from the war to get
>      this to work.

That sounds like a really good idea; reading the wiki page above it
would appear that it would be useful to have a separate package that can
be installed on any machine that you want to monitor jobs on.

I would propose something like 'jenkins-job-monitor'; a wrapper script
and config file would also be nice so that you don't have to embedded
the export of HUDSON_HOME and the java command in everywhere.

Does that sound like a good idea?

>   2) The bazaar plugin didn't initially register itself correctly with
>      jenkins. I finally got it to register correctly, but it was only
>      after installing:
>
>        jenkins-ec2-plugin
>        libjenkins-java (and *all* of its dependencies)
>        reinstalling jenkins-bazaar-plugin
>
>      and restarting jenkins did it get registered. Alas, I realize
>      that doesn't help you narrow down exactly where the problem
>      is. If I get a chance I'll try to reproduce the problem.

Again I'll take a look at this; see if I can re-produce.  Did you
restart Jenkins after installing the plugin?  It does not do this
automatically at the moment and is required for Jenkins to pick it up -
a small maintainer script runs as part of the pre-start setup which
detects new plugins and links them into the Jenkins install.

> Anyway, thanks for putting this together!

Thanks for the testing and feedback!

Cheers

James

--