HP Presario CQ36-113tx discrete graphics getting in the way of start up (2010 model)

hi,

I just found your excellent group in trying to get switchable graphics
working.

I've currently got an issue where i can't manually disable the ati graphics
card that resides in my Intel i5 laptop.

this is a Intel integrated graphics on CPU and a discrete ati graphics.

I've got all the details listed below in this forum post
http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8823919

i was about to install server edition ubuntu on my system but when it went
into boot the system live, it would enable something on the system and give
me a black screen with led back light still on.

does anyone have any pointers to get my system into at least a cli mode with
display so i can output the exact device info.

regards

william d.