Dell Latitude E6420 - Success

Bad news: the test_off script available in the acpi_call git does not work.
Good news: I found an alternative.

The DSDT table does not include anything relevant, at least for
someone not expert like me. But today I discovered there are other
tables, looked at them and found the right method. In particular, the
SSDT table includes these two methods:
"\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.VID._OFF"
"\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.VID._ON"
which work as expected, by switching off and on the discrete (nvidia) card.

With the discrete card off I reach more than 6 hours of battery time
with a power consumption below 10W. Comparable to what you can get
with Windows.

Only issue: you have to re-enable the card on before rebooting or next
time the method will not be present (apparently the switch "resists"
to reboots).

Hope this helps.

Regards
  G.