Re: Asus N53SV asus-switcheroo

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Grant Muller <grantulla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First off thank you to all who have done work on this project, secondly
> sorry for the noobness of this message. I'm trying to turn on discrete
> graphics using the new awilliam module. I've run these commands "git clone
> git://github.com/awilliam/asus-switcheroo.git cd asus-switcheroo; make;
> modprobe -r nouveau; insmod ./asus-switcheroo.ko; modprobe nouveau" but on
> the readme file I'm kind of lost. Is there anyway someone could dumb it down
> a little more for me. Im a med student who needs to get openGL running on
> this machine in order for a research project to move forward but I'm maxing
> out my understanding of linux. If there is anyway someone could help me out
> in running this module or just writing out some instructions I'd really
> appreciate it and could paypal you 15-20$ for my grattitude in helping me
> get this running. I'm using an Asus N53SV, ubuntu 10.10 right now with an
> Nvidia GeForce GT 540m Thanks.

If you can make do with *only* discrete graphics, check the BIOS for
settings to run in compatibility mode.  On the Asus UL30VT, setting
the IDE controller from AHCI to Compatible also disables the
integrated graphics, leaving only the discrete graphics for the OS.
Your battery life will suffer, but it sounds like you need something
working rather than fiddling with alpha code.  Thanks,

Alex