Re: AMD PowerXpress hybrid graphics -- Catalyst 11.4 pre-release testing

My laptop HP dm4t-1100 has Intel and ATI 5470 and I run Ubunti 11.04
with Gnome3 Shell.
I managed to run fglrx from Ubuntu repository with all the symbolic
links mentioned here.

With opensource drivers I am not able to switch to discrete at all.
`echo "DIS" > ..../switch` stopped switching.
But running with integrated is very very stable and Intel has enough
acceleration for everyday desktop use (more than enough for Gnome3
shell, movies, flash sites etc and to me it seems that Gnome 3 shell
behaves faster and is more responsive than Unity).

With fglrx the behaviour is similar to what is described below by Steven:
- when on integrated no acceleration at all and Gnome shell drops to
failback mode (Gnome panels no effects)
- when on discrete 3d acceleration is there and Gnome shell works (I
don't see any difference in speed with everyday operations, but test
measurements definitely show it) - also I notice a bit garbage in the
top 40 pixels, colors are inverted and so.

This test was from one week ago - before the Catalyst revision 11.4 was
out, i used the ubuntu repository pre-release fglrx.