Re: Dell XPS L502x Optimus 525M 1GB (11.04 amd64)

Hi all,
I am reporting my steps to disable nouveau on my Dell L502x Nvidia 525M
Optimus system running Ubuntu Natty (11.04) amd64.
This is after a few frequent display stalls (particularly when I left the
display to idle and it blanked, it would not restart later).
At times I could restart gdm for recovery and at other times I had to
reboot, recover my root partition and then try again...

I am going to check if stopping nouveau changes this behaviour.

Steps to successfully disable Nouveau (note: all actions are done with
'sudo').
1. Create new file /etc/modprobe.d/black-list.conf with a single line of two
words below,
    blacklist nouveau
2. edit /etc/default/grub line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to add the
following string at the end,
    nouveau.nomodeset=0
3. sudo update-grub2
4. sudo update-initramfs -u
    # This updated my /boot/initrd.img file
5. Restart to use the updated image.

I could see that nouveau was not loaded in following ways.

[A] lsmod output changed.
The earlier output had these lines,
[ # These columns are Module, Size and Used_By
nouveau               682322  0
ttm                    76664  1 nouveau
i915                  514985  3
drm_kms_helper         42136  2 nouveau,i915
drm                   227495  6 nouveau,ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper
]
which now became
[
i915                  514985  3
drm_kms_helper         42136  1 i915
drm                   227495  4 i915,drm_kms_helper
]
Note: Modules nouveau, ttm are not present and the drm modules don't show
being used by nouveau -- because it is missing :-)

[B] the 'hwinfo' output changed for "nVidia VGA compatible controller".
They showed nouveau active as,
[
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: nvidiafb is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidiafb"
  Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: nouveau is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nouveau"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
]
which now became
[
Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: nvidiafb is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidiafb"
  Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: nouveau is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nouveau"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
]

I still find the i915 Hangcheck-timer-elapsed kernel log lines hitting my
kern.log
Like I said before, I continue to suppress that with acpi_call
"\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF".

I am not sure if nouveau or this suppress attempt was causing my graphics
stalls -- guess, I'll learn soon :-)
comments and further suggestions are welcome,
nik.. .