Help with Ubuntu 11.04

Hi all,

I have a Sagre NP5135. It has an NVidia 435m with Optimus something
something and it has 11.04 and bumblebee installed.

If I boot up solo (no second monitor attached), I HAVE to change 'quiet
splash' to 'nomodeset' in the grub launch window. If I don't I get a black
screen and the computer won't boot. The problem with this is that Ubuntu
will ONLY launch Gnome and 1280x1024.

If I connect a second monitor to the HDMI out and just let it boot, I can
let it rip and it boots fine into Unity. WTF.

So. What does 'nomodeset' actually do? Is there a way to fake or fix the
actual problem? When I first installed 11.04 back in April, everything
worked fine. It was when the kernel upgraded to 2.6.38 that it stopped
working. I had to reinstall Ubuntu and it didn't give me the option to
install 2.6.35.

Any ideas? Bumblebee by itself doesn't seem to fix this issue. Is this an
ACPI problem?

thx

--
Shawn Sullivan