Re: HP dm4 with radeon hd5400 and Fedora 15

On 07/30/2011 03:59 PM, Frederico Madeira wrote:
Hi guys,

Anyone was lucky running fglrx in a hp dm4 with radeon hd5400 and fedora 15 ?
If yes, give me some hint becouse I can´t.
I have HP dm4t 1100 (Intel + ATI 5470)

I have not tried Fedora 15, only Ubuntu 11.04 and OpenSuse 11.4 with Gnome3 installed from repositories (as I recall Fedora 15 is also based on Gnome 3).

Gnome 3 and fglrx are not fully compatible. When you properly configure it will give you psychedelic colors on top panel and sometimes garbage for icons. Even if this does not bother you, it kinda works but for me everything seemed slower than the opensource radeon driver.

Last time I tried it two months ago was with Catalyst 11.3 or 11.4 and it had these problems, and this is a known bug. I don't know if it is fixed in new versions. So I would recommend to use the standard opensource radeon driver in Gnome 3.

Also see my other email on topic fglrx, in a few minutes.