no HDMI with nvidia hybrid

Hey guys.
Another Asus U31SD HDMI bug report. have a little more too add though. I was
able to detect the display using "optirun nvidia-settings -c :8"
also if i set DISPLAY=:8 then "optirun xrandr" I am able to see all the
returns "xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default"
I guess the X server doesnt know this output exists so that was never going
to work.
So is this basically a problem of image transport? I recall there is a
system to transport images from the nvidia to intel for output, but I
suppose not the other way.
Let me know if I can help any further with this.

My bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/867440