Questions about a new laptop purchase

Hi,
     I am in the market for a new laptop and I am trying to learn more
about the current graphics situation so as to not make a mistake with
my purchase.

1. I looked at the Ubuntu Community Documentation for hybrid graphics
at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics. It has given me
the impression that even if I buy an Optimus Sandy Bridge laptop, I
can use vga_switcheroo to use my nvidia card, and perhaps the problem
is with real-time switching of cards without restarting X. Is this
correct? Can I just configure things so that the nvidia card is always
in use? I don't care if the Intel IGP also stays on and eats power. Or
is it possible that I won't be able to use the nvidia card at all and
will have to settle for the Intel IGP at all times?

2. Is there a list or a wiki page with a compatibility list and or
machine specific gotchas with bumblebee / ironhide?

3. How is the graphics performance when using ironhide / bumblebee?
How big is the hit because of VirtualGL etc.?

4. Is there a list of laptops with hardware muxes / switches or BIOS
options to only use the discrete graphics card?

5. I am having a dilemma about value for money between similarly
priced i7-2630QM and i7-740QM notebooks. Any opinions on whether it is
a waste of money to buy Clarksfield i7-740QM at the same price as a
Sandy Bridge i7-2630QM notebook, only because the former will have
hassle-free graphics?

Thanks a lot for all your responses, and for all the work you guys are
doing to bring hybrid graphics to linux. it is a shame the
manufacturers won't put out proper drivers.

Regards,
Sarang

--
My public key: