How to contribute?

Hi!

A few months ago I bought a Dell XPS 17 L702X (i7-2720QM, NVIDIA GT 550M). I always trusted in the NVIDIA drivers, although closed source I never had problems in the past few years. Unfortunately I was unaware of Optimus... Now I want to tell you a bit about my person. I'm 18 years old and I have been programing C/C++ for 5 years and know several other languages (Java, Perl, Python). Another thing I already used is NASM on x86/x64-Linux. Linux (mostly Ubuntu/Kubuntu) has been running on my machines for 3 years now. I know that this isn't much compared to other people, but I'm permanently learning more and improving my skills. What now? I want to contribute! Of course I'm aware that it will take me several months or even years to produce anything useful. So does it make sense to start working on Bumblebee or IronHide or is this just a temporary solution until the Nouveau driver and X server get ready for this? Can you recommend me any good literature/tutorials? Any hints where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Marth

Follow ups