Re: Subscription to [Blueprint desktop-p-hybrid-graphics] Hybrid graphics support strategy planning

I have this same situation on my HP dv7.

I am running Arch Linux on it. The free drivers work fine but have very poor performance even for 2D games, plus the laptop gets hot (even when I tell both cards to go to low power, as per the Arch Linux ATI page) using them.

I tried the Catalyst drivers and to my surprise they worked and made the laptop run as cool as it did in Windows 7, and the proprietary tool had an option to switch to the low and high power GPUs (though it wanted to reboot the system to do so).

Sadly, I had to revert to the free drivers because catalyst turned out to be unstable. Certain actions, like playing videos in VLC, or having a certain plugin in Firefox start up, or plugging in an external monitor to my VGA port all had the effect of hard-locking the computer.

-Andrew