Re: HDMI is unreliable with nvidia optimus on asus n53sv

With my problem, xrandr and system->settings->displays always found whatever was plugged into the port,
and I think /var/log/Xorg.0.log showed the EDID of the display I was trying to connect to,
as long as the display was connected when X started.
The desktop always fired up on the unseen display, and I had to use the workspace selector to move
modal popup applications where I could see them.

I would suggest checking the /etc/xorg.conf as well as xorg.0.log to make sure that configuration
is not the issue. If modified, try reverting to the original distribution file, and use xrandr to
modify graphical behavior. In fact on my distribution, xorg.conf does not appear to exist.

If you can, see if it works with the original operating system to ensure that hardware is not the issue.

Beyond that, the intel_reg_dumper tool can read hardware registers, and these are documented at
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/ But you have to be fairly keen to go that far.