inx-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [Inx] Hardy-INX latest iso

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:02:21 -0500
Dan Mazzei <sehku17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alright, I finally got around to testing the latest iso image, and I
> have to say it was quite impressive.
>
> I started out by loading it into RAM using the new option (512 MB, ran
> great), and it was very fast.
>
> Hard drive partitions mounted cleanly without effort.

Andre has found a bug in that menu :/ I'm working on it (choose
the wrong number and it hangs, with error messages - the error I think
I have found, but the hang problem is still there).

> As for the issue with the cd tray coming out, I am certain we just need
> to remove a couple of lines (eject $CDROM ; echo "Press Enter to
> continue" ; read -p ''), but I was unable to locate a copy of the script
> so I could patch it.  If anyone knows where to get the Ubuntu shutdown
> script, e-mail me so I can make the appropriate changes.

Fixed, (I think) - in /etc/rc0.d/S89casper :

# Added to stop CD eject if running "toram" P.G. 2008-06-11
if ! grep -qs toram /proc/cmdline ; then
    eject -p -m /cdrom >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

> Note: perhaps an emacs clone is not the best for the default editor?  It
> is a good idea to INCLUDE it, but it could be a little intimidating, and
> if you had never used emacs, it might be very confusing.  Maybe nano is
> a better option for the default?

I considered this - possibly you have a point, but jed can be explored
with the mouse through the menus, so people who don't want to learn key
strokes can use the menus. I think it's fairly intuitive, but maybe I'm
too close to it...

> Note: Would like to see the clock shown by default, and in 12-hour format.

I'm looking at using a different script for the time ( not 'vcstime'),
so 12 hour time might be an option. Having the clock on by default
interferes with mouse text selection and pasting, I've found, so I
prefer "off by default".

New ISO is waiting on a fix for the hard drive menu bug that Andre
discovered.

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Follow ups