inx-devel team mailing list archive

Fw: Re: Hardy-INX

Forwarded reply ( I hit the wrong button - sorry for the dupes Andre)

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:10:06 +1000
From: Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Andre Mangan <andrem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hardy-INX

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:40:10 +1000
Andre Mangan <andrem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was experimenting with performing other tasks while listening to
> Internet Radio and discovered that if I press "m" the music is muted and
> pressing "m" again unmutes it.  Nice touch.

I can't claim credit - that's an mplayer key :) I should add that to
the "help" for "Radio".

> Pressing h, f, w, x while a
> radio station has been activated produces no change in menu - the menu
> only works if no station is active.

Yes. While a radio station is playing with the "Radio" menu, mplayer is
in the foreground, so only mplayer keys have an effect. In the "Random"
menu, INX is using the "plait" program, so on return from elinks after
a search you get a new menu that is in the foreground and functional.
This is an effect of the software being used at the time. It might be
possible to introduce a more consistent interface, but I haven't tried.

> This "m" function is not listed.

Correct. Thanks, I'll add it under "h" for "help".

> To perform other tasks it is of course necessary to jump to another
> terminal as pointed out in the tutorial.  Once activated, the music
> keeps playing regardless of which terminal one is in.

Yes, I think that is as it should be, don't you? :-)

> Should the following be considered:
> There have been difficulties reported with installing Ubuntu 8.04 to
> some SATA hard drives.  It may be that this only relates to
> installations rather than Live functions and certainly would not have
> any bearing on a RAM loading.

I guess that would only be relevant if INX was hard-drive installed? So
far the inxtaller is a bit on the primitive side and not advertised, so
that probably isn't an issue.

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--