inx-devel team mailing list archive

INX Torrents - Getting the team up to speed?

Apologies if this turns out to be a multiple mail - for some reason the
first attempt seems to have failed to get to the lists...

Torrents:

There has been a bit of further testing of the torrent tracker at

http://interlink.dynalias.org:60003

Thanks, Karl :)

It is still up, tracking the RC1 ISO. You can help by testing it out -
click on the file name on that URL to get a .torrent file.

Issues with torrents:

(This is so that we can do a useful torrent on INX
release, with team members' help)

(A very short primer for those who have not used BT much)

To be a useful "seeder" you need to be aware of a few points.
Apologies to those who are already familiar with the Bit Torrent
protocol. This is a brief summary for those who are not...

Port Forwarding:

The port(s) for your torrent client *do* need to be forwarded from your
router, and your firewall, if any, needs to allow the port(s). Without
this, you will be what is known as a "leech" - (or at least, a
semi-leech who is not fully contactable, and thus not helping as much
as is possible).

The torrent protocol uses both "server" and "client" aspects of your
torrent program. If the "test" function on your client reports that its
port is "closed", you can't be contacted directly by other "swarm"
members.

Unfortunately different routers use varying methods for "port
forwarding" and different terminology. You might for instance find the
option under "Virtual Server". There is some help here: (this explains
things at least)

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/PortForwarding

You might want to google for your router version with "port forwarding"
in the search terms, if you don't know how to do it on your model.

Note: Do not use the default bt port range from 6881-89 in your client .
It will work fine with most torrents (including the INX torrent), but
some trackers block that range (I won't go into the details of why
here). High ports ( say 56789 or 45678 etc. are good choices since few
other protocols use the high range approaching 60000 + by default)

Other points:

Don't choke your connection by allowing unlimited upload speed - as a
rough rule of thumb, make your upload speed limit about a tenth of your
upstream capacity. For example, on a 512/128 connection set a maximum of
12 KB/sec upstream ( that's KiloBytes, not bits :) 10 would probably be
more sensible.

Don't try to run more than one torrent program at a time - it's
pointless unless the programs are on separate Internet connections, and
simply confuses the router unless you do multiple port forwarding and
other basically unnecessary things.

This post is just an attempt to clarify what we need for a useful INX
torrent. If any of it needs correcting, or if you want more
information, do please respond. I'm trying to look towards minimising
any issues that might arise when INX goes more "public".

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Follow ups