inx-devel team mailing list archive

Correction/clarification Re: [Inx] INX Torrents - Getting the team up to speed?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:44:41 +1000
Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don't choke your connection by allowing unlimited upload speed - as a
> rough rule of thumb, make your upload speed limit about a tenth of your
> upstream capacity. For example, on a 512/128 connection set a maximum of
> 12 KB/sec upstream ( that's KiloBytes, not bits :) 10 would probably be
> more sensible.

I meant, divide your nominal upstream capacity in *Kilobits* by ten to
get a rough estimate for the figure *in Kilobytes* to use as your
upstream/upload limit in your torrent client, of course...

More info here (ignore the fact that it's an Azureus wiki -
the information is equally valid for any client, as far as upload
limits are concerned)

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Good_settings

Don't bother using the "speed test" urls to check your maximum - they
are notoriously inaccurate. Your router interface may show your
upstream maximum ("sync speed") in kilobits - this is more likely to be
useful as a starting point, in my experience.

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>