inx-devel team mailing list archive

INX 1.0 - The Surprising Story...

Hello all,

Well, the launch of INX 1.0 was... not as I expected, at least!

Those of you who were on #inx irc.freenode.net during the Digg-inspired
"rush" will know more or less what happened, but this is a cheerful
summary of events for those who don't know...

The interest was sparked mainly by this article with a catchy title:

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/10/07/look-ma-no-x/

*cough* Comments here:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Look_Ma_No_X

The comments on Digg were hilarious. The level of discourse was, of
course, what we have come to expect from Digg. The comments on the
actual article's URL above are generally more sensible, at least.

On the other hand, I kind of liked "No wobbly windows. Boo"  ;-)

So.... we ended up briefly on the front page of Digg, with over
700 hundred of "diggs", which sort of suggests that quite a few people
were interested, despite the bile in the comments, and the insistence
by some that INX is somehow even *remotely* similar to Ubuntu Server :)

To keep this at least moderately short:

The traffic on inx.maincontent.net didn't double or triple - it
increased by a factor of more than ten overnight. The European mirror
at inx.boinc.ch had a similar spike. The BitTorrent swarm completed
hundreds of downloads, and so on... I won't bore you with statistics,
but to give an idea of the effect, we have had more downloads of INX in
the last week than we have had in the last twelve months.

Of course the madness did not last for long (a couple of days). It was
fun while it lasted :)

Thanks to all who are helping to seed the torrent - it has done over 50
Gigabytes of complete copies so far, and still has a good number of
seeds. To give you some idea, the torrent swarm has done almost as much
as the inx.boinc.ch server (which has had traffic of around 60
Gigabytes this month - thanks for the mirror, Marco!) The "maincontent"
server has had around 128 Gigabytes. (Thanks, Melchior!)

We are not taking over the world, obviously, but these stats are about
an order of magnitude more than I, at least, expected.

Now we are back to something closer to "normal" in terms of downloads.

I hope some of this is of interest :)

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net