inx-devel team mailing list archive

Re: INX Debian/Ubuntu Package

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:44:07 +1030
Karl Goetz <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd almost assume m-t-a will be there anyway, but I guess its worth
> adding :)

Actually, for INX, msmtp-mta is needed. This is
because the config script for mutt uses msmtp and needs ~/.msmtprc .
If another mta is installed already (postfix, exim etc.), then the menu
for setup will not be able to insert stuff in ~/.msmtprc unless msmtp
is also installed. Or more simply - the config questions for smtp only
work for msmtp. Not sure if that's quite clear but I hope you get the
gist...

In addition, the mail setup uses a "skeleton" ~/.muttrc to which
options are added by the mail setup questions in 'mailinx'. I suspect
that this will happily clobber an existing ~/.muttrc - although it
should create a backup .muttrc that can be swapped back in.

This could be a conflict for people who already have an mta set up
before installing the inx package, since although if .muttrc exists on
the system and the mta is properly configured mutt will run, changing,
for example, mail servers/accounts will fall over from the mailinx setup
menu...

We might need to point the 'mailinx'  menu at another set of files like
say ~/.inx/msmtprc and ~/.inx/muttrc.

I haven't looked at this yet...

Peter

--