ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: what would it take to get php53u-mysql51 (and friends) created?

On 01/15/2013 04:51 PM, Joshua Rusch wrote:
> I believe the mysqlclient15 (for rhel 5) and mysqlclient16 (for rhel 6) packages already take care of keeping the older shared libraries in place for anything that is linked against mysql. I've yet to encounter a situation where I needed to recompile the phpX-mysql packages against the newer libraries.
>
> I've used both the php54-mysql and php53u-mysql packages with both the mysql51 and mysql55 packages without any issue.
>
> While I can't speak for the package maintainers, my guess is there's a very specific technical reason why those multiple pgsql packages exist.
>
> I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

i have been able to get a system with php 5.3 and mysql 5.1, but since
php is using the 5.0 libraries, some things whine (like phpmyadmin)
about the version mismatch. so to avoid potential pitfalls, i want to
see if we might be able to build a php 5.3 module against mysql 5.1. i
looked at the php53u-pgsql84 package and it looks like it does need to
have a complete copy of php in the source rpm, but it seems to just jump
directly into the pgsql folder and build just that, with appropriate
requirements lines to get pgsql 8.4 linked in. so it seems like this
might be doable for the mysql modules as well and not create too much
overhead at rebuild time. still keeping my fingers crossed...