From: Ius-community [ius-community-bounces+carl.george=rackspace.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Ben Harper [ben.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 05:22 PM
To: ius-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ius-community] RFC IUS php 5.6 FPM

On 09/08/2014 04:04 PM, Ben Harper wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The initial build of IUS php56u packages will be hitting the testing
> repo tonight for Red Hat and CentOS 7.  We would like some input on
> how to handle the FPM package.  Historically Red Hat and IUS packages
> have taken approach that  FPM would be used with Red Hat's default web
> server, Apache.  With the popularity of Nginx and other web servers,
> we want to reevaluate this approach.
>
> Up until recently, the main php package (php54 and php55u) required
> Apache for mod_php and the php FPM logs were owned by the apache
> user.  Since both php54 and php55u had been in the stable repos for
> some time, we were very cautious about making changes. We removed the
> requirement for Apache, but kept the logs owned by the apache user[0].
>
> Seeing that php56u is a brand new package, we can afford to completely
> rethink how we handle php FPM.  We could follow Red Hat lead and
> assume FPM will be used with Apache.  We could also do what we did
> with php53u and php54.  Another option would be not to require Apache
> and have the logs owned by a new user like http, php, php-fpm or some
> other user.   Are there other ideas we should consider?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben and the rest of the IUS covedev team
>
> [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ius/+bug/1312972

BJ had an interesting idea in #iuscommunity.  His idea was to have a
dedicate package for FPM and Nginx, something like php56u-fpm-nginx.
The php56u and php56u-fpm would continue to use Apache, while the
php56u-fpm-nginx would be set up to work with Ngnix.  I think this idea
is worthy of consideration.

-Ben