ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: php56u-pecl-memcache coredumps httpd

Hey Jakov,

Seeing that you are trying to jump from PHP 5.4 to PHP 5.6, the following mitigation guide might be useful:

http://php.net/manual/en/migration55.php

http://php.net/manual/en/migration56.php

-Ben

On 07/27/2015 07:12 PM, Jakov Sosic wrote:
On 07/27/2015 07:51 PM, Ben Harper wrote:
Hey Jakov,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us about this issue.  Can we
assume this code and configuration worked with php55u with
php55u-pecl-memcache?  Also can we assume the code works without the
memcache module?  Have you tried the memcached module?

Actually, everything worked/works perfectly with php54. I didn't try
php55u, but I can spin up env and try it if you want?

That would buy me some time, but I wanted to avoid double upgrade (php54
-> php55u -> php56u) cause each upgrade brings it's own rollout plan and
testing phases.

I'll try php55u tomorrow and report back.

With these types of issues, we need to figure out is this an upstream
issue with the pecl module itself or an issue with the way the module is
packaged.  While I am not an expert with the memcache module, I don't
think this is issue with the way we package memcache.

I don't want to imply that packaging is the culprit for this issue, at
contrary - I'm posting at this mailing list because you guys seem to
know what you're doing and was hoping to get some insight into what may
I try as a remedy.

Looking over the output, I do see you are running an older version of
PHP.  Have you tried with php56u-5.6.11?

I'm actually rebuilding IUS php to link it agains httpd24u, and I
haven't rebuild 5.6.11 yet. But, since I have this issue from the first
time I noticed php56u in your repos (around 5.6.3 I think), and upgrades
to 5.6.9 didn't help, I got impression this is purely pecl-memcache vs
5.6 branch related issue, and not something that will get fixed in minor
versions.

Now, as a side remark - I did notice some issues with httpd24u when
building php against it: /usr/bin/apxs didn't parse libdir correctly. I
can open a thread with info about that if you want (I think this may be
a bug on a packaging side though).

Looking over bugs for the memache module[0], I don't see anything that
jumps out at me.  There are a few bugs that mention memcache_pool.c[1],
but I am not sure if any of those are related.  It might be worth
looking through those bugs.

-Ben

[0]
https://bugs.php.net/search.php?cmd=display&status=Open&package_name[]=memcache

[1]
https://bugs.php.net/search.php?cmd=display&search_for=memcache_pool.c&x=0&y=0

Thank you Ben for answering, I'll skim through the bugs.