ius-coredev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #157649]: Any plans to add zts php modules?

Question #157649 on IUS Community Project changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ius/+question/157649

Joshua Rusch gave more information on the question:
Hmm, I didn't realize the php faq still urges against using the thread
safe version of php. I thought Remi knew something about which modules
are thread safe and which aren't, but apparently not..

'Be careful, if an extension is available, this doesn't mean that it
will work perfectly, because there is no warranty it's "thread-safe".'

That's from this blog post:
http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2009/11/14/PHP-5.3%2C-zts-and-mysqlnd

So there's no guarantee on the thread-safety of the actual 3rd party
libraries...

I did find this
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/developer/thread_safety.html#liblist

I believe the postgresql and mysql modules would be safe to add in. But
maybe we should all just continue to stick with mod_fcgid for now when
using mpm apache :)

I wasn't looking to do anything complex with this, just run wordpress -
I wouldn't dare try running something like magento on a threaded php. I
do, in fact, have 2 wordpress installs running on a threaded php install
and haven't noticed any issue...but they're very low traffic.

Let me know what you think. Add all of them in with a use at your own
risk disclaimer? Try to figure out which ones actually are thread safe?
Abandon all hope all ye who enter here?

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of IUS
Core Development, which is an answer contact for IUS Community Project.