ius-coredev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #184365]: What's with the epel requirement?

Question #184365 on IUS Community Project changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ius/+question/184365

Jeffrey Ness proposed the following answer:
Hello Tobi,

Thank you for your question posted here today.

EPEL is going to be needed by IUS as our packages are built against many packages
with in the EPEL repository. If you choose to not enable EPEL, your packages that require
EPEL we be unable to install.

The good news is EPEL's policy is not to allow any package in the repo that has already been
created in Enterprise Linux. EPEL Stands for 'Extra Pacakages for Enterprise Linux'.

See the explanation on EPEL's site (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL):

   EPEL packages are usually based on their Fedora counterparts and will never conflict with
   or replace packages in the base Enterprise Linux distributions.

IUS provides 'Replacement Packages' this is why our naming convention is as it is, since RHEL provices
php we have to name our php replacement packages as php52 and php53u.

Hopefully with this information you feel safer about keeping the EPEL
repository installed and enabled.

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of IUS
Core Development, which is an answer contact for IUS Community Project.