Re: Patch: Keyboard shortcut for "Drag Mode"

2006/4/8, wmb314 <wmb@...>:

> > > I found [the proposal to have a keyboard shortcut for drag]
> interesting, but I prefer to use 'D' and 'd' key instead of
> > tab. ...
>
> > That would be more mnemonic, but I don't know how is perceived in
> the other
> > languages.
>
> The reason I chose Tab was because the key is easy to find. The
> function is so important that it deserves a key that can be reached
> with very little searching. It defeats the purpose if you have to
> look carefully at the keyboard.
>
> "Space" would be even better, but it is already used. However, the
> function that "space" is bound to is much less frequently used than
> "drag", so if it were up to me, I would move the "zero offset"
> function to either 'o' or '0' (zero) and put the Move/Drag toggle on
> space. Actually, if it were up to me I would make "drag" the default.
>
> But it is not up to me, so I can only propose and explain my thinking.

For me : drag by default, "M" for move and "Del" for delete would be good.

> The best solution would be to have this kind of shortcuts in a
> configuration
> > file...
>
> I disagree. If you make the UI too configurable, then the product
> becomes very difficult to support and only expert users will be able
> to use it. Standardization is a good thing, so long as the standard
> is well thought out.

You are probably right, personally I don't like the software which implement
commands different on different languages, even if my primary language is
French, I prefer English mnemonics for the portability. We do not forget
that if we don't remember the shortcut , the menus are always available.

--
Danilo Uccelli
CH-2400 Le Locle

For me : drag by default, &quot;M&quot; for move and &quot;Del&quot; for delete would be good. <br>
You are probably right, personally I don't like the software which
implement commands different on&nbsp; different languages, even if my
primary language is French, I prefer English mnemonics for the
portability. We do not forget&nbsp; that if we don't remember the
shortcut , the menus are always available. <br>
*case* WXK_DELETE :&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;*// Switch to delete mode*<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 ------=_Part_1685_16062477.1144580061745--