Re: boost.python

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Florian Delizy <fdy@...> wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > Because boost, wxPython and kicad are compiled with mingw there is
a big
> > problem.
> >
> Since Microsoft released Visual Studio Express under a free licence,
> couldn't we just go to MS VSE compilation ? I remember to have built
> wxwidgets under VS without trouble some years ago, I think that should
> be pretty straightforward ?

I also think staying with gcc and msys is a good idea. g++ brings an
*outstanding* compiler and C++ library, and it is very widely used and
very well supported. I see no reason to use VSE for anything.

By using gnu gcc's g++ you will have more closely matching build
scripts (makefiles) between the linux and windows versions of this
project.

Remember, much of the work on this project long term will be done on
Linux. So the simplicity of life of the Linux based contributors will
dictate to a large extend how much and how fast things can be
contributed, thereby benefitting also the Windows users.