Re: saving zone edges in pcb file

--0-204616983-1193996092=:34960 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Igor Plyatov wrote:
> > > If you want, then I can make some screenshots of zone properties (and
> > > operations with zones) from Protel.
> > > --
> > > Igor Plyatov
> > >

> > Set me these screenshots.
> > I do not plan to redesign the wheel ... ;-)
>=20
> Please look at
> http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Discussion_About_Poligons
=20
I would hope that KiCad ultimately handles zones (with the equivalent objec=
t in Protel/Altium Designer being referred to as polygons) in a superior fa=
shion. "Polygons" in Protel/Altium Designer have traditionally been of a "h=
atched" nature, in which each polygon is actually implemented by a set of t=
racks and arcs, but in more recent versions, support has also been provided=
for polygons of a "solid" nature, and such polygons are actually implemen=
ted using "regions" instead. A "region" can be thought of as having a polyg=
onal shape, i.e. a set of vertexes, and with straight edges between adjacen=
t vertexes. And each such region can also incorporate one or more "holes" o=
r "voids", with each such void similarly being of a polygonal shape (with v=
ertexes and straight edges).
=20
A "parent" polygon can have either a straight edge or an arc edge between e=
ach adjacent pair of its vertexes, and in many cases, it would be desirable=
if "regions" and "voids" could also have an arc edge between any adjacent =
pair of vertexes. I don't know how difficult that would be to actually impl=
ement in practise, but regardless of how easy that would be to implement, "=
regions" are still very much a "curate's egg" when it comes to depicting th=
em within Gerber files. When a "region" contains absolutely no "voids" with=
in it, G36 and G37 "Polygon Area Fill" commands could be used within Gerber=
files without too much bother. But when "voids" are present though (or "re=
gions" are present within "voids", or they in turn incorporate "voids", ...=
), then Gerber files start getting really "ugly", and PCB manufacturers are=
a lot more likely to start grumbling.
=20
I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at implementing zones of a "solid" na=
ture, but what I am saying is that they would need a lot of attention if we=
want to keep the end users and PCB manufacturers fully happy.
=20
Regards,
Geoff Harland.

=20=20=20=20=20=20
National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. =
Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/nationa=
l-bingo-night/

 --0-204616983-1193996092=:34960 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
font-size:12pt"><DIV>Igor Plyatov wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; If you want, then I can make some screenshots of zone p=
roperties (and<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; operations with zones) from Protel.<BR>&gt=
; &gt; &gt; --<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Igor Plyatov<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt=
; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Set me these screenshots.<BR>&gt; &gt; I do not plan to=
redesign the wheel ... ;-)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Please look at<BR>&gt; <A href=
=3D"http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Discussion_About_Poligons";>=
<FONT color=3D#9136ad>http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Discussio=
n_About_Poligons</FONT></A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would hope that&nbsp;KiCad ultimately handles zones (with the equiva=
lent object in Protel/Altium Designer being referred to as polygons) in a s=
uperior fashion. "Polygons" in Protel/Altium Designer have traditionally be=
en of a "hatched" nature, in which each polygon is actually implemented by =
a set of tracks and arcs, but in more recent versions, support has also bee=
n provided for polygons of a "solid" nature, and such polygons are actually=
&nbsp;implemented using "regions" instead. A "region" can be thought of as=
having a polygonal shape, i.e. a set of vertexes, and with straight edges =
between adjacent vertexes. And each such region can also incorporate one or=
more "holes" or "voids", with each such void similarly being of a polygona=
l shape (with vertexes and straight edges).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A "parent" polygon can have either a straight edge or an&nbsp;arc edge=
between each adjacent pair of its vertexes, and in many cases, it would be=
desirable if "regions" and "voids" could also have an arc edge between any=
adjacent pair of vertexes. I don't know how difficult that would be to act=
ually implement in practise, but regardless of how easy that would be to im=
plement, "regions" are still very much&nbsp;a "curate's egg" when it comes =
to depicting them within Gerber files. When a "region" contains absolutely =
no "voids" within it, G36 and G37 "Polygon Area Fill" commands could be use=
d within Gerber files without too much bother. But when "voids" are present=
though (or "regions" are present within "voids", or they in turn incorpora=
te "voids", ...), then Gerber files start getting really "ugly", and PCB ma=
nufacturers are a lot more likely to start grumbling.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at implementing zones of a "soli=
d" nature, but what I am saying is that they would need a lot of attention =
if we want to keep the end users and PCB manufacturers fully happy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Geoff Harland.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></div><br>

<hr size=3D1>
National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. =
u.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/" target=3D_blank>Download your game=
card now at Yahoo!7 TV</a>.