Assorted issues

--0-528969722-1194778035=:79910 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Some matters which have come to my attention in recent times, while I have =
been looking at KiCad and editing source code:
=20
1. Bug involving "Dimensions -> Pad Settings" command in Module Editor
=20
While a module (/pattern/footprint) is being displayed in the Module Editor=
, deliberately click on some non-pad object, e.g. an arc/track/text string.=
Then select the "Dimensions -> Pad Settings" command (from the menu). Pcbn=
ew and the Module Editor both terminate, and a "Program Error" box is invok=
ed.
=20
I suspect that g_Pad_Master needs some attention to deal with this issue, a=
nd/or some attention is needed to what to do when no pad is "specified"/"se=
lected"/"focused" in such circumstances. Given a bit of time, I could proba=
bly figure out what change(s) would need to be made to prevent that from ha=
ppening, but if anyone else is reasonably familiar with the associated code=
, and thinks that they could fix this issue in short order...
=20
2. Build dependency issue involving common/selcolor.cpp
=20
If that file is modified and KiCad is subsequently recompiled (i.e. "make -=
f makefile.g95", and without a "clean" beforehand), gerbview.exe is not up=
dated (unless gerbview/set_color.o is deleted prior to recompiling).
=20
Hardly a show-stopper, and maybe I could figure out how to fix that myself.=
But once again, if anyone else could figure out how to deal with it in sho=
rt order... (The "Colors" dialog box, whose associated code is specified w=
ithin the common/selcolor.cpp file, is used by EESchema and Pcbnew and Gerb=
View.)
=20
3. Sequences of layer-related checkboxes - attention Jean-Pierre:
=20
For the most part, when checkboxes (or other types of controls) are provide=
d for different layers, controls for Copper side layers are listed "above"/=
"before" controls for Component side layers. However,
=20
- In the "PcbNew Layer Colors:" dialog box, the "Show Modules Cmp" checkbox=
is listed "above"/"before" the "Show Modules Cu" checkbox. (Both of those =
checkboxes are located within the column on the right hand side.) Hence tha=
t sequence is inconsistent with that of all of the other checkboxes within =
the same dialog box.
=20
- In the "Pad properties" dialog box, the checkboxes provided for the Adhes=
ive, Solder paste, Silkscreen, and Solder mask layers are all listed with t=
he checkbox for each Cmp-side layer "above"/"before" the checkbox for the c=
orresponding Copper-side layer. (On the other hand though, the "Copper laye=
r" checkbox is listed "above"/"before" the "Comp layer" checkbox.)
=20
I would welcome your feedback on what you think should be done with the che=
ckboxes concerned within each of those dialog boxes.
=20
Regards,
Geoff Harland.

=20=20=20=20=20=20
National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. =
Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/nationa=
l-bingo-night/

 --0-528969722-1194778035=:79910 Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
font-size:12pt"><DIV>Some matters which have come to my attention in recent=
times, while I have been looking at KiCad and editing source code:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1. Bug involving "Dimensions -&gt; Pad Settings" command in Module Edi=
tor</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>While a module (/pattern/footprint) is being displayed in the Module E=
ditor, deliberately click on some non-pad object, e.g. an arc/track/text st=
ring. Then select the "Dimensions -&gt; Pad Settings" command (from the men=
u). Pcbnew and the Module Editor both terminate, and a "Program Error" box =
is invoked.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I suspect that g_Pad_Master needs some attention to deal with this iss=
ue, and/or some attention is needed to what to do when no pad is "specified=
"/"selected"/"focused"&nbsp;in such circumstances. Given a bit of time,&nbs=
p;I could probably figure out what change(s) would need to be made to preve=
nt that from happening, but if anyone else is reasonably familiar with the =
associated code, and thinks that they could fix this issue in short order..=
.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>2. Build dependency issue involving common/selcolor.cpp</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If that file is modified and KiCad is subsequently recompiled (i.e. "m=
ake -f makefile.g95", and without&nbsp; a "clean" beforehand), gerbview.exe=
is not updated (unless gerbview/set_color.o is deleted prior to&nbsp;recom=
piling).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hardly a show-stopper, and&nbsp;maybe I could figure out how to fix th=
at myself. But once again, if anyone else could figure out how to deal with=
it in short order...&nbsp; (The "Colors" dialog box, whose associated&nbsp=
;code is specified within&nbsp;the common/selcolor.cpp file, is used by EES=
chema and Pcbnew and GerbView.)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>3. Sequences of layer-related checkboxes - attention Jean-Pierre:</DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For the most part, when&nbsp;checkboxes (or other types of controls) a=
re provided for different layers, controls for Copper side layers are liste=
d "above"/"before" controls for Component side layers. However,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- In the "PcbNew Layer Colors:" dialog box, the "Show Modules Cmp" che=
ckbox is listed "above"/"before" the "Show Modules Cu" checkbox. (Both of t=
hose checkboxes are located within the column on the right hand side.)&nbsp=
;Hence that sequence is inconsistent with that of all of the other checkbox=
es within the same&nbsp;dialog box.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- In the "Pad properties" dialog box, the checkboxes provided for the =
Adhesive, Solder paste, Silkscreen, and Solder mask layers are all listed w=
ith the checkbox for each Cmp-side layer "above"/"before" the checkbox for =
the corresponding Copper-side layer. (On the other hand though, the "Copper=
layer" checkbox is listed "above"/"before" the "Comp layer" checkbox.)</DI=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would welcome your feedback on what you think should be done with th=
e checkboxes concerned within each of those dialog boxes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Geoff Harland.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></div><br>

<hr size=3D1>
National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. =
u.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/" target=3D_blank>Download your game=
card now at Yahoo!7 TV</a>.

Follow ups