Re: eeschema: how to handle component references on

okok sorry. I'll try to state it another way. Perhaps I am doing something
wrong with sheets? (that the software already does? (i hope))

Say I have two .sch files in my design. call them dsp and adc.
one dsp hooks up to 4 adc sheets, hence there are 4 adc.sch rectangles in
dsp.sch

I want to annotate (assign component references to) the capacitors,
integrated circuits and stuff in both .sch files. However, one .sch file
makes 4 sheets, so I cannot save the component references for all of them.

This means when I turn off my computer at night, start up the next day, I
have to re-annotate, otherwise there will be duplicated component
references (read in from adc.sch). Now, if i re-annotate and am partially
done with a layout, everything will be all confused because the component
references will change in the schematic.

Hypothetically, I can make a whole bunch of files, adc_1.sch adc_2.sch
...etc. Then have to edit each (of 16, in one case) if (when!) I realize
I've made a mistake. not elegant.

does this make sense??

thanks for your input, and merry christmas!