Re: eeschema: how to handle component references on multiple duplicated sub-sheets

I think Tim has a valid point Dick. As a former Orcad user I
understand exactly what Tim is talking about. Orcad allows you to use
instances of sheets (instantiation) any number of times and each
instance has its own unique references.

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:

> Tim Hanson wrote:
> > okok sorry. I'll try to state it another way. Perhaps I am doing
something
> > wrong with sheets? (that the software already does? (i hope))
> >
> > Say I have two .sch files in my design. call them dsp and adc.
> > one dsp hooks up to 4 adc sheets, hence there are 4 adc.sch
rectangles in
> > dsp.sch
> >
> > I want to annotate (assign component references to) the
capacitors,
> > integrated circuits and stuff in both .sch files. However,
one .sch file
> > makes 4 sheets, so I cannot save the component references for all
of them.

> > This means when I turn off my computer at night, start up the
next day, I
> > have to re-annotate, otherwise there will be duplicated component
> > references (read in from adc.sch). Now, if i re-annotate and am
partially
> > done with a layout, everything will be all confused because the
component
> > references will change in the schematic.
> >
> > Hypothetically, I can make a whole bunch of files, adc_1.sch
adc_2.sch
> > ...etc. Then have to edit each (of 16, in one case) if (when!) I
realize
> > I've made a mistake. not elegant.
> >
> Tim,
>
> I think this option is what is intended by the current support.
(Not