Re: Orcad 2 Kicad conversion

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Frank Bennett" <bennett78@...>
wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cmcdowell_home"
> <cmcdowell_home@> wrote:
>
> > Frank,
> >
> > Thanks for your help. I have identified the problem. It appears
> > your program will not work completely unless you run it from
> > either the commandline or create a batch script.
> >
> > Example:
> > If you just try to drag and drop an EDIF file (example PS10.EDF)
on
> > top of the e2sch.exe program (i.e your edif2kicad target)you only
> > get the schematic and the project file.
> >
> > However, if you create a batch file with the following:
> > "e2sch.exe PS10.EDF". It works and you get all the files you
> > mentioned in your prior email. {.lib,.sch,.pro}.
> >
> > Thanks for your help sounds like your program is the one to go
with
> > I have not done anything with it but its doing what you said.
> >
> > Also, I had one heck of a time getting the BISON program working
> > correctly. I would suggest also posting the C file that it
creates.
> > Otherwise it will discourage many people from using your great
> > program.
> >
> > Charles
> >
> Charles:
> The source files (and Bison) make just fine under Cygwin for
windows
> (www.cygwin.com) or Linux:
> $ svn co https://edif2kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edif2kicad
> $ make
> not sure what you are using under Windows but I just released
> e2schEXE.zip which includes the *.exe files made and zipped under
> Cygwin that you might want to give a try since ftp to
> upload.sourceforge.net was acting weird...
>
> Sorry about the drag and drop problem, Cygwin is the only Windows
> IDE I have available.
> -Frank

Frank,

I stopped using cygwin about a million years ago. I hate it.
I am using another free tool called CodeBlocks and using the
mingw compiler.

I download the Bison 1.875 from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bison.htm
I tried many other versions and they don't work. At least
not for me, could of been an environmental variable not sure.

I have been working more with your program and have some new
questions:

Problem:
I get all of the libs now created except the libary with the same
name as the EDIF file.

Here is my usage:

1.) I get Orcad Lite to export the Design. The projects
name in Orcad is PIC16F. I save this as PIC16.EDF
2.) I use your pretty printer utlity.
ppedif.exe < MYPIC16F.EDF > MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)
3.) I use your edif parser with the following arguments:
e2sch.exe MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)
4.) This produces everything {all the .lib,.pro,.sch} accept it seems
to miss one of the needed libaries called MYPIC16F.lib. I.e the
library with the same name as the project. And this seems to be
required.

I have the same problem when I use your PS10.EDF file as well. In
this case I don't get the PS10.lib.

Other than that its working. Here are some picky non important
issues:
a.) The fonts for the part identifiers is way too big. Is there a
way I can get the fonts to be smaller? Possibly a project setting?
b.)I get a bunch of part properties such as partnumber that seem to
clutter the whole schematic. Can I shut these off by default, i.e
another .pro setting?

Thanks,

Charles