Re: Re: Orcad 2 Kicad conversion

--0-1820470621-1199887861=:41868 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Frank Bennett <bennett78@...> wrote: --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cmcdowell_home"
<cmcdowell_home@...> wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Frank Bennett" <bennett78@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cmcdowell_home"
> > <cmcdowell_home@> wrote:
> >
> > > Frank,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help. I have identified the problem. It appears
> > > your program will not work completely unless you run it from
> > > either the commandline or create a batch script.
> > >
> > > Example:
> > > If you just try to drag and drop an EDIF file (example PS10.EDF)
> on
> > > top of the e2sch.exe program (i.e your edif2kicad target)you only
> > > get the schematic and the project file.
> > >
> > > However, if you create a batch file with the following:
> > > "e2sch.exe PS10.EDF". It works and you get all the files you
> > > mentioned in your prior email. {.lib,.sch,.pro}.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help sounds like your program is the one to go
> with
> > > I have not done anything with it but its doing what you said.
> > >
> > > Also, I had one heck of a time getting the BISON program working
> > > correctly. I would suggest also posting the C file that it
> creates.
> > > Otherwise it will discourage many people from using your great
> > > program.
> > >
> > > Charles
> > >
> > Charles:
> > The source files (and Bison) make just fine under Cygwin for
> windows
> > (www.cygwin.com) or Linux:
> > $ svn co https://edif2kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edif2kicad
> > $ make
> > not sure what you are using under Windows but I just released
> > e2schEXE.zip which includes the *.exe files made and zipped under
> > Cygwin that you might want to give a try since ftp to
> > upload.sourceforge.net was acting weird...
> >
> > Sorry about the drag and drop problem, Cygwin is the only Windows
> > IDE I have available.
> > -Frank
> >

> Frank,
>
> I stopped using cygwin about a million years ago. I hate it.
> I am using another free tool called CodeBlocks and using the
> mingw compiler.

I will have to try it some day, I'm only on Windows when I need
to run OrCad, Quicken or Turbo Tax. Otherwise I'm on Ubuntu Linux.

> I download the Bison 1.875 from
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bison.htm
> I tried many other versions and they don't work. At least
> not for me, could of been an environmental variable not sure.

cygwin reports:
$ bison -V
bison (GNU Bison) 2.3
Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

> I have been working more with your program and have some new
> questions:
>
> Problem:
> I get all of the libs now created except the libary with the same
> name as the EDIF file.

The library with the same name is usually the schematic.
the schematic "library" usually has a bunch of cellRefs
and libraryRefs. If this is really another library with
cellDefs then I have a bug. Are there any missing symbols?

> Here is my usage:
>
> 1.) I get Orcad Lite to export the Design. The projects
> name in Orcad is PIC16F. I save this as PIC16.EDF
> 2.) I use your pretty printer utlity.
> ppedif.exe < MYPIC16F.EDF > MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)
> 3.) I use your edif parser with the following arguments:
> e2sch.exe MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)
> 4.) This produces everything {all the .lib,.pro,.sch} accept it seems
> to miss one of the needed libaries called MYPIC16F.lib. I.e the
> library with the same name as the project. And this seems to be
> required.
>
> I have the same problem when I use your PS10.EDF file as well. In
> this case I don't get the PS10.lib.

Shouldn't be it's PS10.sch

> Other than that its working. Here are some picky non important
> issues:
> a.) The fonts for the part identifiers is way too big. Is there a
> way I can get the fonts to be smaller? Possibly a project setting?
> b.)I get a bunch of part properties such as partnumber that seem to
> clutter the whole schematic. Can I shut these off by default, i.e
> another .pro setting?

Not picky, really annoying however...You have discovered
the extent to which I have ported this converter. EDIF has
a number of Scaled things and I don't know enough about EDIF, OrCad,
KiCad or the config files to know where and what can be scaled. Some
KiCad doc here would be helpful(Jean-Pierre?, Dick?)...more fun to
do coding...I just did a few text types, but there surely is more
work needed here.

Plan on doing a lot of OrCad translations? As a H/W guy at the job
shop I last worked at for 4 years, we were seeing a few old designs
where parts were becoming obsolete with old schematics around.

Want to be a developer?

I could take a look at your EDIF file if you like while I sit
around looking for an income generating project.

-Frank

> Thanks,
>
> Charles

Frank,

Yes, there is one symbol missing from the EDIF file. Specifically the boards microcontroller symbol. I just reviewed Orcads Part Manager, which basically shows every part in a table form and to what library it each part belongs. Interesting thing is that all the other parts belong to a specific OLB library. But, this specific part the "Microcontroller symbol" belongs to the PIC16F.DSN file itself.

This situation happens quite often. Example when you create a new schematic and you will have to override the default symbol. I.e when you have a microcontroller you often move your inputs/output around for the specific schematc so you end up tweaking the library default symbol. In this case Orcad does not extenally reference them but instead makes a private copy and places them in the DSN file itself.

So I think this is a small bug or rather just an extra feature that needs to be added.
I.e the feature that permits the symbol extraction for symbols not contained in a specific OLB reference but rather just in the generic DSN file.

I can't send you this specific schematic, but I could try to depopulate most of everything to
give you something to work with.

My goal is to eventually migrate completely to KiCad I probably have 10 schematics that will need to be migrated. I have no money for this effort and at this time its just for personal use.

I would be willing to be a developer on the project, although I don't know Bison. Any specific help you need?

Charles

---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. --0-1820470621-1199887861=:41868 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

<BR><BR><B><I>Frank Bennett &lt;bennett78@...&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <DIV id=ygrp-text> <div>--- In <A href="mailto:kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com";>kicad-devel@<WBR>yahoogroups.<WBR>com</A>, "cmcdowell_home"<BR>&lt;cmcdowell_home@<WBR>...&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; --- In <A href="mailto:kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com";>kicad-devel@<WBR>yahoogroups.<WBR>com</A>, "Frank Bennett" &lt;bennett78@&gt; <BR>&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; --- In <A href="mailto:kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com";>kicad-devel@<WBR>yahoogroups.<WBR>com</A>, "cmcdowell_home"<BR>&gt; &gt; &lt;cmcdowell_home@<WBR>&gt;
wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Frank,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Thanks for your help. I have identified the problem. It appears<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; your program will not work completely unless you run it from<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; either the commandline or create a batch script.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Example:<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; If you just try to drag and drop an EDIF file (example PS10.EDF)<BR>&gt; on <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; top of the e2sch.exe program (i.e your edif2kicad target)you only<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; get the schematic and the project file.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; However, if you create a batch file with the following:<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; "e2sch.exe PS10.EDF". It works and you get all the files you<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; mentioned in your prior email. {.lib,.sch,.<WBR>pro}.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Thanks for your help sounds like your program is the one to go <BR>&gt; with<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; I have not done anything with it
but its doing what you said.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Also, I had one heck of a time getting the BISON program working <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; correctly. I would suggest also posting the C file that it <BR>&gt; creates.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Otherwise it will discourage many people from using your great <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; program.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Charles<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Charles:<BR>&gt; &gt; The source files (and Bison) make just fine under Cygwin for <BR>&gt; windows<BR>&gt; &gt; (www.cygwin.<WBR>com) or Linux:<BR>&gt; &gt; $ svn co <A href="https://edif2kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edif2kicad";>https://edif2kicad.<WBR>svn.sourceforge.<WBR>net/svnroot/<WBR>edif2kicad</A><BR>&gt; &gt; $ make<BR>&gt; &gt; not sure what you are using under Windows but I just released <BR>&gt; &gt; e2schEXE.zip which includes the *.exe files made and zipped under <BR>&gt; &gt; Cygwin that you might want to give a try since ftp to<BR>&gt; &gt;
upload.sourceforge.<WBR>net was acting weird...<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Sorry about the drag and drop problem, Cygwin is the only Windows<BR>&gt; &gt; IDE I have available.<BR>&gt; &gt; -Frank<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Frank,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I stopped using cygwin about a million years ago. I hate it.<BR>&gt; I am using another free tool called CodeBlocks and using the<BR>&gt; mingw compiler.<BR><BR>I will have to try it some day, I'm only on Windows when I need<BR>to run OrCad, Quicken or Turbo Tax. Otherwise I'm on Ubuntu Linux.<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I download the Bison 1.875 from <BR>&gt; <A href="http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bison.htm";>http://gnuwin32.<WBR>sourceforge.<WBR>net/packages/<WBR>bison.htm</A><BR>&gt; I tried many other versions and they don't work. At least<BR>&gt; not for me, could of been an environmental variable not sure.<BR><BR>cygwin reports:<BR>$ bison -V<BR>bison (GNU Bison) 2.3<BR>Written by Robert Corbett and Richard
Stallman.<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I have been working more with your program and have some new <BR>&gt; questions:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Problem:<BR>&gt; I get all of the libs now created except the libary with the same<BR>&gt; name as the EDIF file.<BR><BR>The library with the same name is usually the schematic.<BR>the schematic "library" usually has a bunch of cellRefs<BR>and libraryRefs. If this is really another library with<BR>cellDefs then I have a bug. Are there any missing symbols?<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Here is my usage:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 1.) I get Orcad Lite to export the Design. The projects<BR>&gt; name in Orcad is PIC16F. I save this as PIC16.EDF<BR>&gt; 2.) I use your pretty printer utlity.<BR>&gt; ppedif.exe &lt; MYPIC16F.EDF &gt; MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)<BR>&gt; 3.) I use your edif parser with the following arguments:<BR>&gt; e2sch.exe MYPIC16F_B.EDF (batch script)<BR>&gt; 4.) This produces everything {all the .lib,.pro,.sch} accept it seems <BR>&gt; to miss one
of the needed libaries called MYPIC16F.lib. I.e the <BR>&gt; library with the same name as the project. And this seems to be <BR>&gt; required.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I have the same problem when I use your PS10.EDF file as well. In<BR>&gt; this case I don't get the PS10.lib.<BR><BR>Shouldn't be it's PS10.sch<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Other than that its working. Here are some picky non important <BR>&gt; issues:<BR>&gt; a.) The fonts for the part identifiers is way too big. Is there a <BR>&gt; way I can get the fonts to be smaller? Possibly a project setting?<BR>&gt; b.)I get a bunch of part properties such as partnumber that seem to<BR>&gt; clutter the whole schematic. Can I shut these off by default, i.e<BR>&gt; another .pro setting?<BR><BR>Not picky, really annoying however...You have discovered<BR>the extent to which I have ported this converter. EDIF has<BR>a number of Scaled things and I don't know enough about EDIF, OrCad,<BR>KiCad or the config files to know where and what
can be scaled. Some<BR>KiCad doc here would be helpful(Jean-<WBR>Pierre?, Dick?)...more fun to<BR>do coding...I just did a few text types, but there surely is more <BR>work needed here.<BR><BR>Plan on doing a lot of OrCad translations? As a H/W guy at the job<BR>shop I last worked at for 4 years, we were seeing a few old designs<BR>where parts were becoming obsolete with old schematics around.<BR><BR>Want to be a developer?<BR><BR>I could take a look at your EDIF file if you like while I sit<BR>around looking for an income generating project.<BR><BR>-Frank<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Charles<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></div></DIV><!--End group email --></BLOCKQUOTE> <div>Frank, <BR><BR>Yes, there is one symbol missing from the EDIF file.&nbsp; Specifically the boards microcontroller symbol. I just reviewed Orcads Part Manager, which basically shows every part in a table form and to what library it each part belongs.&nbsp; Interesting thing is that all the other parts belong to a specific OLB library.&nbsp; But, this specific part the "Microcontroller symbol" belongs to the PIC16F.DSN file itself. <BR><BR>This situation happens quite often.&nbsp; Example when you create a new schematic and you will have to override the default symbol.&nbsp; I.e when you have a microcontroller you often move your inputs/output around for the specific schematc so you end up
<hr size=1>Looking for last minute shopping deals? <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping";>
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.</a> --0-1820470621-1199887861=:41868--