Re: Request to developpers

Tim Hanson wrote:
> We are quite impressed with Kicad software. Congratulations and many
> thanks for creating this tool.

I don't quite think they get it.. you can't just take it and say "thanks..."

> We are a PCB design and manufacuting company: please see our website:
> www.protoexpress.com <http://www.protoexpress.com/> .
> We would like to use Kicad engine ( sourcecode) in a PCB design
> workbench that we plan to customize for our manufacturing facility and
> available on our website for general PCB designers.

I'd prefer Dick's option # 1 -- then we could all use whatever
enhancements they decide to contribute, and they are forced to be very
honest & not lock-in like Frank points out. I doubt they are going to
give us free PCBs. Am I going to give kicad developers free wireless
neural recording devices because I use kicad? probably...no. All I
can give are my (hopefully) useful features / bugfixes in exchange for
being able to both use it and modify it. That is the economy -- I
saved money by not buying Eagle & in return tried to contribute time
-- and they should play by the same rules. The fact that they are
asking permission means that they know they are doing something not
quite right!! (If they just wanted to svn co and compile, you would
not have heard from them)

A branch is slightly worse; if they add good features it will take
somebody time to merge them. This involves many details, and you know
where the devil is ;) Probably they want to add buttons for instant
ordering like PCB123 - maybe that stuff is better in a branch.

IMHO, Just tell them to become a developer on SF & give checkin
rights. I don't want anybody making undue profits from the software
either.

Profits are not the problem. Actually making profit is a good thing, as long as those making the profit are the ones entitled to make a profit: the code's owners or those that support it.

I doubt they are going to
give us free PCBs. Am I going to give kicad developers free wireless
neural recording devices because I use kicad? probably...no.

Is this supposed to be analogous? It is not. A PCB design company using Kicad as its primary tool for gathering job opportunities not quite the same as you using the tool in an ancilliary manor.

I would encourage them to give me free PCB's, because that might keep me interested in contributing beyond what I am currently working on. I am not a hobbyist developer. I fear the end is very near for me. My time is simply too valuable.

Dick