Re: Re: KiCad tree change proposition

Hello!

> > > I want to propose make a changes:
> > >
> > > A. In installed KiCad tree move content from one folders to another:
> > > A1. "help" ---> "docs".

May be better to move "help" to the "docs/help". This is just for easier
packaging of releases.
To many people want to save traffic and do not want to download huge
KiCad portion with docs.
Another reason is - docs do not so frequently changed as programs.

> > > A2. "library" ---> "library/symbols" .
> > > A3. "modules/packages3d " ---> "library/3d- shapes".
> > > A3. "modules" ---> "library/footprints ".
>
> I am afraid this could creates some troubles with old kicad users.
> In particular, when updating and old kicad tree which have footprints in
> kicad/modules, if a new library/footprints is created,
> where pcbnew or cvpcb must look for footprints ? (assuming the old user
> does not delete one directory.)
> And how an user knows the directory beeing really used ?

Please explain to me: How the programs search for librarys?
Is there a possibility to write in a project the list of used librarys
names separately from library search paths?
I prefer to store my own librarys not in KiCad library folder (for
example in a shared folder on windows server).

> > > B. In KiCad SVN repository separate from KiCad sources such things:
> > > B1. "library" ---> "trunk/kicad- library".
> > > B2. "docs" ---> "trunk/kicad- docs".
> >
> Ok. Libraries and docs could be separated from sources.

For docs we can make a "kicad-docs-1.0.tar.bz2" and "kicad-docs-1.0.zip"
packages at "Download" page.

> > > C. Make an two independent packages for "kicad-library" and
> > "kicad-docs" .
> >
> What do you mean here ?

I mean, make a "kicad-library-1.0.tar.bz2" for *NIX and
"kicad-library-1.0.zip" packages for Win32 at "Download" page (or only
"kicad-library-1.0.zip" if this is not a problem for *NIX platforms).
--
Igor Plyatov