Re: Re: Kicad versioning

Hi gentlemen,

Remy's and Jonas' opinions are exactly what I'had on my mind when I started this thread.

Milan

Remy napsal(a):
--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonas Diemer <diemer@...> wrote:
Hi,

I think this topic is more about a stable release than version
numbering itself. For the SVN/bleeding edge branch, the current
versioning scheme seems adequate. But we should consider creating a
stable release/branch for all those out there who don't like to use
the bleeding edge svn(end users, distributions etc.). For that stable
release, we might want a release plan, containing:
- which features should be included
- which bugs need to be fixed
- a testing period
- a translation period
- maybe a timeline

We shouldn't overdo this though, since we have limited and
luctuating manpower to implement this plan anyways... The trackers on
sourceforge.net could become handy for some of these items. Once we
have a stable release, it should get a number like Milan suggested.
So, my question would be: What is the current plan regarding a
stable release? Who is in charge of it?
Best regards
Jonas.

Hi all,
Since devel versions is a developer's problem, I agree with Jonas
about all 'common' and new users of Kicad.
People who heard about KiCad can find, with google these links : - Jean-Pierre's site at LIS
- kicadlib.org
- kicad.sourceforge
- kicad wiki
Yahoo's results are nearly the same, the kicad-users group's homepage too.

Unfortunately, these sites lead to KiCad versions as different as JP's
realese candidate (kicad-2007-11-29-c... in one part!)), sourceforge
(kicad bin 20070709...in 3 parts!), and all PC user of normal
constitution would sink into the wiki page 'Download".

In order to properly welcome new users, I really believe that an
obvious numbering system would be 'very' usefull, and giving a better
image, too, that Kicad deserve. The best known and most used system is
probably V1.0, V2.xx system (This for end-user versions only).
In this suggestion, I hope I gave the "new KiCad's user" point of view.
Cheers.
Rémy.