Re: Problem with GenericPolygonClipperLibrary.cpp

Jonas Diemer wrote:
Hi,

Am Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008 07:49:37 schrieb Dick Hollenbeck:

Have we also considered the possibility that the copyright holder(s) to
the problem library could be persuaded to change their license?

That would be an option (although I am not too optimistic from what I have found on the web). At leaset we should ask for clarification of their license, i.e.

- Does "non-commercial use" mean use in a non-commercial project, e.g. a GPL-software? -Or does it mean for non-commercial purpose, e. g. a hobbyist PCB design as opposed to a commercial PCB?

- If the latter, we need to persuade them to change that :-)

- If the former, we need to have that clarification (and maybe other things?) written down, so the license becomes OSI/GPL-compatible.

Who should contact the GPC guys (Alan Murta (author) and Toby Howard (license manager) on behalf of the KiCad community? I would volunteer, if you guys find it appropriate.

- Jonas

That would be nice. You seem to a good grasp of the issue. If it works, I get credit for the idea. If not, well then it was someone else's fault.

You KNOW I am kidding. :-D

I license change to a well known acceptable license should be our primary goal. Obtaining clarification of existing license, while better than nothing, is not the preferred objective because that is harder to pass along to those within the community who would have concerns.

Dick