From: Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>
Subject: Re: [kicad-devel] Re: Interested new developer
To: kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, May 30, 2008, 11:36 AM

Hi c w,

Thank you very much for volunteering! c w what is your real name?

I went to find the document and pulled it up into OpenOffice and see

that it is 25 pages long, and there are quite a few pages in there that

are simply not pertinent to Kicad.

So I have modified my opinion slightly in the direction of Wayne's

comments. This document was written about 10 minutes after C++ hit the

market, so that makes it about 20 years old, and in those days we were

over designing everything, including this document.

Maybe give me a week to whittle it down and then I will email it to you

to touch up.

OK with you?

Dick

> Since no one else has stepped up, I'll take a stab at it. I just

> installed Open Office on one of my systems and as long as I can ask

> questions when needed I'll do my best.

> --- On *Wed, 5/28/08, Dick Hollenbeck /<dick@softplc. com>/* wrote:

> From: Dick Hollenbeck <dick@softplc. com>

> Subject: Re: [kicad-devel] Re: Interested new developer

> To: kicad-devel@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 8:51 PM

> > Dick,

> > I took looked at the coding standards document you sent me a

> while back.

> > It is an excellent document. It was a lot more detailed than what I

> > was thinking. I was envisioning something along the lines of the

> Linux

> > kernel coding standards document. More anecdotal and less

> detailed. I

> > have had my free cut significantly due to some additional

> consulting

> > work. Maybe some of the other developers would like to take a

> stab at it.

> > Wayne

> Wayne,

> Good luck with the consulting, hopefully it pays better that

> working on

> Kicad.

> The extra detail in the document is harmless, and probably serves C++

> and why and how it should be used over C in an application like Kicad.

> It also speaks consistently about style with respect to the style

> embedded in uncrustify.cfg file.

> Thanks for at least letting us know you are un-volunteering on it. We

> will not wait for you now.

> Mostly we need someone that:

> 1) knows C++,

> 2) knows OpenOffice Writer,

> 3) knows English well

> to step up. They are listed in order of importance, with 3) being the

> most important. The result could be a *.odt file that we occasionally

> export to *.pdf and put on the wiki. It is now about a 15 page

> document

> if I recall, and it needs some formatting mostly. It was imported

> from

> WordPerfect and not so nicely at that, and seriously modified

> since then.

> Thanks,

> Dick

 --0-1109528004-1212167270=:395 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

Thank you very much for volunteering! c w what is your real name?<br>
I went to find the document and pulled it up into OpenOffice and see <br>
that it is 25 pages long, and there are quite a few pages in there that <br>
are simply not pertinent to Kicad. <br>
So I have modified my opinion slightly in the direction of Wayne's <br>
comments. This document was written about 10 minutes after C++ hit the <br>
market, so that makes it about 20 years old, and in those days we were <br>
over designing everything, including this document.<br>
Maybe give me a week to whittle it down and then I will email it to you <br>
to touch up.<br>
OK with you?<br>
Dick<br>
&gt; Since no one else has stepped up, I'll take a stab at it. I just <br>
&gt; installed Open Office on one of my systems and as long as I can ask <br>
&gt; questions when needed I'll do my best.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --- On *Wed, 5/28/08, Dick Hollenbeck /&lt;<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:dick%40softplc.com";>dick@softplc. com</a>&gt;/* wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; From: Dick Hollenbeck &lt;<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:dick%40softplc.com";>dick@softplc. com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [kicad-devel] Re: Interested new developer<br>
&gt; To: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com";>kicad-devel@ yahoogroups. com</a><br>
&gt; Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 8:51 PM<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Dick,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; I took looked at the coding standards document you sent me a<br>
&gt; while back.<br>
&gt; &gt; It is an excellent document. It was a lot more detailed than what I<br>
&gt; &gt; was thinking. I was envisioning something along the lines of the<br>
&gt; Linux<br>
&gt; &gt; kernel coding standards document. More anecdotal and less<br>
&gt; detailed. I<br>
&gt; &gt; have had my free cut significantly due to some additional<br>
&gt; consulting<br>
&gt; &gt; work. Maybe some of the other developers would like to take a<br>
&gt; stab at it.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Wayne<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Wayne,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Good luck with the consulting, hopefully it pays better that<br>
&gt; working on<br>
&gt; Kicad.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The extra detail in the document is harmless, and probably serves C++<br>
&gt; and why and how it should be used over C in an application like Kicad.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It also speaks consistently about style with respect to the style<br>
&gt; embedded in uncrustify.cfg file.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks for at least letting us know you are un-volunteering on it. We<br>
&gt; will not wait for you now.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Mostly we need someone that:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 1) knows C++,<br>
&gt; 2) knows OpenOffice Writer,<br>
&gt; 3) knows English well<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; to step up. They are listed in order of importance, with 3) being the<br>
&gt; most important. The result could be a *.odt file that we occasionally<br>
&gt; export to *.pdf and put on the wiki. It is now about a 15 page<br>
&gt; document<br>
&gt; if I recall, and it needs some formatting mostly. It was imported<br>
&gt; from<br>
&gt; WordPerfect and not so nicely at that, and seriously modified<br>
&gt; since then.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;<br>