Re: Versioning

Jonas Diemer a écrit :

Hi JP,

nice to see there will be a stable release soon. How about giving it
a "stable" release number, such as 2.0 (in addition to the date)? We had
discussions about this 5 months ago or so...

Regards
Jonas

I know many people prefers this kind of versioning.
I used it some years ago.
But for me it was not very usefull, and I changed it for the more powerfull timestamp based identification.

A versioning like year.month.day is very usefull for me in bug tracking work (this is the reason I use this kind of versioning). When a bug is reported (by mail or sourceforge) I know very easily if a bug is already soved or not.

Adding an arbitrary version number to a date version is of course possible.
But this is more awkward and is it really very easy for users ?
Is the date not sufficient ?
A lot of applications (outside software world) also use time stamp successfully to characterize what they manage.

--

Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Maître de conférences
Directeur d'études 2ieme année.
Génie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2
Institut Universitaire de Technologie 1 de Grenoble
BP 67, 38402 St Martin d'Heres Cedex

Recherche :
GIPSA-LIS - INPG
46, Avenue Félix Viallet