Re: Versioning

Am Samstag, 30. August 2008 11:28:24 schrieb Richard A Burton:
> There is a marker. The marker is that it gets released. Nightly builds
> may be made available, but only the official releases go on the
> official site. If it's there (and isn't marked as a release candidate
> of course) then it's a proper release and considered good for
> production use.

This scheme is rather different from how most other (open source) software is
released (and thus what new users are familiar with): Usually, nightly builds
are marked by a date, while stable versions have a number...

> > adding
> > a "traditional" version number to the release date whenever such a
> > release is
> > considered stable, i.e.
>
> In my experience, working at a major software company, marketing
> drives the version numbers. Yes, there are new feature in each (also
> driven by marketing of course), but making it a major release or a dot
> release, or even just a service release depends on what you are trying
> to achieve with the release, how you license upgrades, how you want it
> to fit into a larger portfolio. None of this matters for Kicad. I
> can't see what you are trying to achieve by changing the numbering
> scheme. Aside from making it clear that's it's a production ready
> release (point already covered above), what else does it provide?

What I am trying to fix here is how new KiCad users get confused by the many
versions out there. At least I got confused (several times) earlier, and I am
sure others too.

The multiple download sites probably is the worst part of it, but not having a
clear flag that denotes a stable release from a nightly build is also bad.

- Jonas