Re: zoom steps

jean-pierre.charras@... wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>> Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> Wayne,
>>>
>>> were you going to allow a 1.5 magnification on each step. I thought
>>> you had set out down that path.
>> I have been working on it indirectly. The last few commits I've made
>> were in a vain effort to clean things up a bit before tackling the new
>> zoom implementation. Like many things in Kicad that seem like they
>> should be relatively trivial to implement, there always seems to be some
>> hidden gotchas that jump up to bite you. The current device context
>> (drawing) implementation is very fragile. I am not sure why the
>> capabilities of wxDC were not used for drawing. I have looked at
>> several examples as well as the source code for wxDC and cannot
>> understand why much of what is already implement in wxDC was basically
>> reimplemented by the various drawing, clipping, scaling, etc. functions
>> in Kicad (see gr_basic.cpp) . This is one of the reason it's taking
>> longer than I had hoped. If Kicad required some special drawing
>> functionality, why not create a class derived from wxDC? This makes
>> making changes to the drawing code tricky. You have to find every place
>> in the code where zooming is touched and make sure you don't break
>> anything else. I was initially thinking of fixing the drawing code
>> first so that the zoom code would be trivial to implement. I really
>> don't like to do things twice if I can avoid it. However, fixing the
>> drawing code is a major job fraught with lots of potential breakage. I
>> guess I can break my own rule and implement the new the zoom in the
>> short term. Maybe there is some way for me to design it so that will
>> cleanly drop into any updated drawing code.
>>
> Wayne,
> thanks for your very good job in kicad code cleaning.
> Users do not see always results, but this is very important to allows
> future enhancements of kicad without a lot of bugs.
> And developers know this is *very* important.
>
> Yes , Kicad manages a lot of things (zoom, clipping ...).
> Why do not use the capabilities of wxDC ?
> - I discover a lot of things when writting kicad (i learn C++ with it).
> And in 1992 a lot of things were very differents W95 did not exists);
> In fact i started kicad when i find a free 32 bits compiler (the
> DJGPP compiler, from GCC) and a decent graphic library : LIBGRX) under
> MSDOS and Linux.
> Linux was just started and was *not* what we know now.
> - All draw functions were first written for LIBGRX, a dos/linux graphic
> lib that does not know wxDC capabilities (but that works very well, and
> very fast)
> This explains some oddities.
> When i started Kicad using wxWidgets (under Linux an W95) i found major
> problems:
> - Under W95 and Linux, Drawings were very slow (today of course,
> computers are faster, but we can notice complex filled copper areas are
> always slow).
> [...]
Thanks for history. It helps to explain some of the design decisions.
I didn't started using wxWidgets until the 2.2 branch. I also have some
issues that I'll need to keep an eye on as I make changes to the drawing
code. I hope there is no need to continue supporting Windows 9X. I do
not have access to machine runs Window 9X so I would have no way to
verify that I didn't break anything. Not that I am particularly
interest in supporting 9X but someone else may care.