Re: [Fwd: Re: KiCad and Qucs]

Even though the Windows environment does not find it to be a universal install, I dare say that technologically, DBUS is the way to go.

In spite of Windows not always having it, DBUS would be a good way to marry the two software packages, giving complete access to any APIs within ether package without necessarily "merging" the designs or projects.

Besides, this then becomes an exercise in design and documentation of exposed APIs, rather than in coding and hacking. This was something that was going to have to happen for Python support anyway using SWIG or whatever. But this way we have the potential to kill two birds with one stone. A DBUS API will let an external Python process do what it wants, or a Java process, or a Qucs process, etc.

Dick

Here is a mail i received from Michael.Margraf, who is the G.U.I. designer of Qucs.
This is an very exciting opportunity to build a powerful EDA.

Michael.Margraf, ask me if the Kicad team is interested by a bridge between Kicad and Qucs. I answer this was a *very very* good thing, and a major enhancement for Kicad.

Ideas and volunteers to work about this are needed.

Michael.Margraf@... a écrit :
Hello,

Fisrt it would be fine if this discussion is on kicad devel list.
Volunteer could know what kind of work is needed.
Can i send a copy of this mail to kicad devel list ?

Yes, please do so!

import and export functions for KiCad and/or Qucs is the most important
topic.
This is what needs most of work and discussion.

Yes, that's true. But for someone using it quite often, it is not very
userfriendly. Nonetheless, we can start with this.

Creating a new netlist format (from kicad to Qucs) is usually easy.

Eeschema and Pcbnew use sockets to quickly exchange data.
Perhaps this feature could be used also with Qucs.

This sounds good! Can you tell me where to find this in the source code?
Then I can have a look on it.

Regards,
Michael

Michael.Margraf@... a écrit :

Hello,

that's great! I think we should start a discussion on how a connection
between KiCad and Qucs could look like.

The following ways come to my mind:
- import and export functions for KiCad and/or Qucs
- make Qucs directly export KiCad netlist
- make KiCad directly start the Qucs simulation engine

>From my point of view it would be most comfortable if Qucs can directly
call the PCB layout program. This way there are some features that KiCad
should be extended to.

What is your opinion?

Regards,
Michael

Fisrt it would be fine if this discussion is on kicad devel list.
Volunteer could know what kind of work is needed.
Can i send a copy of this mail to kicad devel list ?

import and export functions for KiCad and/or Qucs is the most important
topic.
This is what needs most of work and discussion.

Creating a new netlist format (from kicad to Qucs) is usually easy.

Eeschema and Pcbnew use sockets to quickly exchange data.
Perhaps this feature could be used also with Qucs.

Reagards,
JP.

Michael.Margraf@... a écrit :

Hello again,

thanks for your answer.
I am the GUI programmer of Qucs, but I was not active for a while.
I already thought about how to implement a bridge between KiCad and
Qucs.
So I wanted to ask you if you have time and interest to help in
realizing it?
And if you agree to take it into the official KiCad release?

Regards,
Michael

I was thinking you are working on Qucs.
Here are the responses to yours answers:
I do not know if i have time to help this. (but i am *not* alone), but
do of my best.
I *have* the interest to help in realizing it, and i believe this could
be a major enhancement ok kicad.
This is a feature asked by a lot of users, and i have students working
on microwaves designs who need a simulator to do their boards.