Re: New file uploaded to kicad-devel

2009/5/21 <kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello,

> a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the kicad-devel
> group.
>
> File : /Images/hershey-demo.pdf
> Uploaded by : lomarcan77 <lomarcan@...>
> Description : Demo plot using Hershey fonts
>
> You can access this file at the URL:

> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/web/index.htmlfiles

This looks nice for standard size, but for smaller size the kerning
fails. But as I understand this is only a proof of concept code from
which you generated this PDF. I see the nice overscoreing on two
labels.
What bothers me is how hard in these fonts Unicode glyphs can be
achieved? Do the font has glyphs from German, Polish, Ukrainian, Greek
or Russian alphabets? Greek is interesting for µ symbol or couple
other on schematics.

Because I have seen mention about Cairo today and about XOR method for
glyphs draw, I can tell that Pango has really nice support for font
rendering on the screen and with Cairo supports SVG and PDF export.
But I do not know whether even thinking about this technique is
possible in KiCad's case, where strong dependency on low-level DC is,
as I saw in some emails on this list. I know Cairo only from Python so
I can't say is it suitable for KiCad.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...